White chocolate macademia cookies have been around forever, in fact… I would say it was my first love as a teenager. Who didn’t love White Chocolate Macadamia Nut? Ive had it on my to do list for sometime to create this crumble, but when I saw when Brooke of SALTED Sweets adding lemon into her mix, I knew right then and there what my next flavor combo was going to be.
Here are some components that make this cookie Next Level Yum:
- We add crumble to the dough. YES! You heard that right. Put a little in your hand and squish it into the dough for that extra texture, it truly is amazing.
- We add lemon to the crumble AND to the glaze, but not the cookie. This might seem backwards, but I promise it balances well.
- Next we modified the crumble a little differently for macs than cookies. If using this crumble in macs we suggest chopping the white chocolate chips. If using it solely for sugar cookies than leave them whole. We took one batch of crumble, divided it in 1/2 and did 1/2 with whole chips, 1/2 with chopped white chocolate chips. Worked like a charm.
Lets talk about the order in which we do things:
- First, we make the crumble. Yep, start there and get that thing baking.
- Next we wipe out that same mixing bowl and begin making the dough. After the dough is completed and the crumble is baked, we turn the oven up and bake the cookies. (Don’t forget to add the crumble to the middle of the dough.)
- Finally we make the glaze. Once the glaze is together, and the crumble is cooled we add the macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips to the cooled crumble.
- Now we put it all together. Cookie, glaze, crumble, repeat. (Rhymes with eat, so we do both!)
Here’s how to “Mac That” with the crumble/cookie:
- Make crumble as directed. Once cooled, store in a airtight container.
- Make our shell recipe here.
- Whip up a batch of our American Buttercream. Measure out two cups and to that, add fresh lemon zest and 1 tsp. lemon juice.
- Once shells are cooled and buttercream is made, let’s assemble!
- Pipe an “O” around the outside of one shell. Place crumble in the middle.
- Add a dollop of buttercream to the top of the crumble and place the top shell onto and push gently.
Lemon White Chocolate Macademia Nut Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Lemon Macadamia nut crumble
- 100 grams granulated sugar 1/2 cup
- 25 grams brown sugar 1.5 Tbsp
- 80 grams cake flour 3/4 cup
- 2 grams baking powder 1/2 tsp
- 2 grams salt 1/2 tsp
- 33 grams chopped macademia nuts 4 Tbsp
- 40 grams vegetable oil 1/4 cup
- 8 grams vanilla extract 1/2 Tbsp
- 65 grams chopped white chocolate chips 6 Tbsp
- 1 zest of one lemon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- 1½ tsp. lemon juice
For Sugar Cookie
- Preheat 350 and line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat mat.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together sugar and butter (I beat for 3-5 minutes). Add milk and whipping cream 1/4 cup at a time. Once mixture is smooth, add in the vanilla.
- Mix together 1/2 of the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture. Once this is incorporated, add flour 1/2 cup at a time. Add until dough starts pulling away from the bowl.
- Scoop onto prepared sheet. If addding crumble, add it now: using 1 Tbsp per cooke dough ball. Make a well, and than incorporate it together gently. I used a 20 scoop and got 22 cookies from the batch. Bake for 8-10minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE. Cookies will be light-colored when done. Let cool on clean dry surface before icing.
- Preheat oven to 300. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add sugars, flour, baking soda and salt into bowl of mixer. With paddle attachment mix until combined.
- Add in oil and extract and mix just until crumbly. Spread onto baking sheet. With zester, zest one lemon over mixture and stir together with hands and bake.
- Once mixture is cooled and out of the oven toss with white chocolate and macadamia nuts. Store in air tight container. (If I am adding crumble to the inside of the cookie I leave the white chocolate chips whole)
- Add powdered sugar to a bowl.
- Add in lemon juice and zest if desired. Add just enough milk to make mixture smooth, but not too runny.
Putting cookies together
- Take baked crumble and put it into a bowl.
- With a spoon, drizzle glaze over cooled cookies. Top with crumble (if you hold it over the bowl, you will lose less onto the tray). Once glaze has dried, store cookies in airtight container.